Monday, October 20, 2008

Boys in the Hood (my Fatherhood, that is)

SUPER SWIRL


As I was brushing teeth and hair after the boys’ evening tub, my five-year-old requested the hair-stylings of one of his favorite super-powered heroes. “Can I have a Superman swirl?”

“Sure,” I said, trying to fashion his bangs into the familiar “S” that hangs in the middle of the Man of Steel’s forehead. Of course, younger brother needed to have one too now.

But then, big brother asked me a very poignant question: “Daddy, how come Superman’s swirl never gets messed up?”

I’d never really considered it before. But it’s a really good question, because no matter if he’s battling bad guys, showcasing more power than a locomotive or leaping tall buildings in a single bound, the coif never gets messed up. I honestly didn’t have an answer. So I just suggested the obvious. “He probably uses a lot of hair gel.”

“What’s hair gel?”

“You put it in your hair and it makes it stay in place.” He has no idea since Dad’s never had a reason to use it before (at least not in this past decade).

“Even when you fly really, really super fast?”

Apparently so. Flying faster than a speeding bullet has no effect on it.

I'm guessing only kryptonite could straighten that thing out.

No comments: